Pediatric Emergency Assessment, Recognition, and Stabilization (PEARS) Provider Course
About this Course:
PEARS is a 1-day interactive and hands-on course developed by the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Heart Association. The PEARS Provider course helps healthcare providers develop the knowledge and skills needed for emergency evaluation and initial stabilization of seriously ill infants and children. After meeting the course prerequisites and successfully completing this course, participants are eligible for official PEARS Provider status through the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.
PEARS is ideal for;
- Health professionals who are new to pediatrics,
- Health professionals who are required to care for children as part of their current role, but on an infrequent basis,
- Health professionals who are interested in taking the Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) and are looking for a course that will help them build knowledge and skills in preparation for PALS, and
- Health profession students who are interested in pursuing careers caring for children.
Inpatient, Outpatient, and Pre-Hospital providers are encouraged to attend.
- Pediatric assessment, including common presentations/findings
- Recognition and initial management of respiratory problems
- Recognition and initial management of shock
- Recognition and initial management of cardiac arrest
- Resuscitation team competencies and team dynamics
In order to participate in this course, you must be:
(1a) a recognized health professional, or
(1b) a student enrolled in their final year of an an accredited educational program to become a recognized health professional, and
(2) hold a valid Heart and Stroke Foundation (HSFC) Basic Life Support (BLS) Provider card* (see below for details)
* A paper copy of your HSFC BLS card must be submitted at course check-in if you are seeking official PEARS Provider status through the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada. Please see your card for expiration date.
* If you do not hold a valid BLS Provider card or if your BLS card was issued by an organization other than the Heart and Stroke Foundation, you may still participate in the course as an auditing participant. According to Heart and Stroke Foundation policy, participants must meet all prerequisites to be eligible for official PEARS Provider status at the conclusion of the course. All participants will receive a Certificate of Continuing Education.
PEARS Course materials can be obtained through the following vendors:
McMaster University Health Sciences Bookstore (McMaster University Medical Centre - Level 1, Red Section, just outside of the hospital cafeteria) (www.bookstore.mcmaster.ca) (paper copy)
Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada (www.resuscitation.heartandstroke.ca) [Use the "Shop for Training Materials" button] (paper copy)
Laerdal Canada by calling 1-888-LAERDAL. The PEARS Textbook with PEARS Provider Pocket Card is sold under Laerdal Catalogue #90-1061. (paper copy)
Emma Wyatt, MBBS, FRACP
Kevin Middleton, RRT, BSC, MEd
If you are interested in attending any of these courses, you can Register for Upcoming Courses